From 27 March to 22 September 2019 at Museo di Roma They are celebrated 180 years from the birth of photography. The exhibition curated by Flavia Fish e Simonetta Tozzi presents 320 images all photo from the archives of the Museum of Rome.
The photography in Rome
Since 1839, When Daguerre It presents the Academy of Sciences of Paris his invention to fix the images on a silver foil, in Rome and operate the first daguerreotypists, afterwards, It will be one of the first city to record the transition to the photograph printed on paper from a negative. The widespread use of new reproductive technology was inserted in the wake of landscape painting pictorial, where he found a huge marketing space, subverting the ancient playback systems. With the definition of the role of capital, After the unification of Italy, Rome was the ideal location for the expansion of photographic, not only as a reproduction of the image memory, but also as a conscious development of other fields in which it could be applied.
The path of the most significant areas of the photographic history of the Eternal City, It is represented in an extraordinary manner from this exposure.
The 9 sections I am a surprising path. In the various themes and development techniques illustrated, you can admire and evocative spaces, and the fascinating urban transformations that have accompanied the development of the Capital.
- Experience the light: birth and progress of photography It is the beginning of exposure. Dagherrotipi, salted paper, and albumin are the items tested by the first photographers often accompanied by painters in their quest to capture spaces.
- Documenting the old: paths through the ruins It illustrates how the photographic technique is used immediately for the archaeological investigation.
- The center of Christianity underlines the symbolic aspect of the city as a universal spiritual reference face and how this aspect of the daily life of the city itself. The solemnity represented by the images of St. Peter's Basilica, together with the most hidden glimpses inside the Vatican walls, summarize perfectly the deep soul of the city.
- Waterways: the presence of the river and the monumental fountains explores the vital relationship with the natural element and all the distortions caused.
- An eternal garden: Roma between town and country testifies to the immense natural wealth in the fixity of the charming figures of gardens and parks.
- The new capital: the zoning of the late nineteenth century to the modern city perhaps one of the most fascinating sections, where they trace the urban transformation in order to adapt the city to the role of capital of Italy before, and then to meet the needs of modernization required by the later periods. Interestingly the presence of many works in Ciampi, for many years the magazine photographer Capitolium, who gave a great contribution to the transformation of the photographer's craft.
- Occasions of social life where photography becomes a specific mode of transmission of the social history. So of official events alternate with images of festivals and markets popular images, or to those of performances by artists such as Joseph Beuys e Keith Haring.
- Through the mirror: negatives on glass plate instead it presents a series of nineteenth-century plates in back-lit glass.
- Portraits It closes admirably a complete and exhaustive exhibition. The section, Perhaps the most interesting, model posing and interiors of nineteenth century studies, of tableau vivant, the so-called living pictures so popular in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century, which confirms the direct dialogue of the time between painting and photography.
In the exhibition spaces is planned an installation created by the photography students of Rome University of Fine Arts (RUFA), it will revive the cultural life of the capital by special characters such as de Chirico, Pasolini or Schifano. In addition a series of conferences or workshops will enrich the themes exposed.
Info, Timetable and prices
Roma in the darkroom. Photographs of the nineteenth city today
From 27 March to 22 September 2019
Museo di Roma - Palazzo Braschi Piazza Navona, 2 and Piazza San Pantaleo, 10
Schedule: From Tuesday to Sunday h 10-19. Closed on Monday
ticket price: Adults € 7, Reduced € 5. The ticket office closes at h 18
Info: Tel. 060608, active h 9-19